21 Quickie Life Hacks For Everyday Happiness
Happy people have many things in common. They have encountered adversity and overcome it. They recognize that nothing that is worth having comes easily. They also have consistent habits that create daily happiness no matter what is happening.
When I was sixteen I knew that there had to be more to life than the rat race of life. I set about to change the way I felt about what I experienced. Shifting my focus has created not just happiness for me but ecstasy and bliss on a daily basis.
Beginning today think differently about what you are experiencing. Instead of feeling that everyone is out to get you, focus on what you are being shown about yourself. Everything in our world is a reflection of what is going on inside of each of us. Every moment of every day is a gift, what do you do when someone gives you a gift?
Scientific Research recognizes that happy people are more productive, accomplish more and have much more joi de vive.
21 Life Hacks For Your Everyday Happiness:
1. Say thank you! Gratitude is the biggest thing missing from those who are unhappy. Instead of recognizing the lesson being given and the beauty of the moment we tend to wallow in self-pity when we are unhappy.
The truth is that everyone experiences difficulties. It is how we choose to react and process our challenges that will shift our experience.
Unhappy people tell everyone their story of woe looking for buy-in and support in their misery. After a breakup an unhappy person will continue to dwell on what the other person did to them, rather than look at what the relationship gave them as a gift and what they learned. Learning the lesson allows you to move on and choose something different the next time.
Happy people recognize that each event is just a lesson. They close the book on their past story and say, “Thank you for my lesson” and wonder what they are supposed to learn?
2. Look up instead of down. When we are depressed or unhappy we tend to look down when we walk. We notice only the negative, the bumps, imperfections, and dirt. When we focus upward, or on the positive we see the open sky, new opportunities, and options. Looking up adopts a positive attitude knowing that there is a purpose in all that is happening. Positive thoughts create vibrant health.
When something falls apart, it is because something better is on its way. Optimism shifts our focus from the closed door and recognizes that a new door is opening with better opportunities.
3. Be kind. When we are kind to others we are also kinder toward ourselves. Serotonin increases in the brain when we act with kindness.
4. Smile. Science backs me up here, with evidence that our brain chemistry changes when we smile. A Duchenne Marker smile actually increases happiness. Duchenne studied smiles of all types. He found that when people smiled which caused crinkles around the corners of the eyes that they are smiling with their soul.
The left prefrontal cortex of the brain where the pleasure centers reside are activated even more so with a spontaneous smile than one that is faked.
5. Make Friends. High-quality relationships with a few people is one of the keys to happiness and longevity. A sense of security is developed with mutual assistance and support. An older person who is lonely has a 14% greater chance of premature death. The impact of being lonely has almost as great an impact on early death as being poor – 19% increase.
6. Participate. Life is a full-contact participatory sport that requires you to engage in social activities to be happy. If you have no network of friends or social activities, join a club. Bowling leagues, baseball, climbing, meditation, Oneness, hiking and travel groups offer networking activities. Join one today. Meet with your group regularly. Don’t just sit on the sidelines of life – participate!
7. Breathe deeply. Deep breathing brings you into the present, affirms life and makes you feel grounded. It is so easy to remind yourself to breathe deeply each hour. Set a chime on your phone. No one needs to know what the reminder is.
8. Rescue a pet. There are thousands of unwanted dogs and cats that need homes. A rescued pet is grateful for a loving home and will love you in return. A pet can keep you company, greet you when you get home and helps dissolve loneliness. Watching, playing and communicating with a cat or a dog can help you feel more fulfilled. You are giving a rescued animal a home – it’s a win-win for you both! A dog can encourage you to get outdoors so that you move and receive daily exercise.
9. Get out in the sunshine! Many people have developed fears of the sun. The sun is required for vibrant health, life and rejuvenation. There are benefits to being outside. The sun is required for vibrant health, life and rejuvenation. Without the sun people become depressed, are more prone to suicidal thoughts and negative behaviors such as looking to foods, sweets, drinking or drugs to soothe.
10. Create A Healthy Daily Regimen. Get up at the same time and go to bed at the same time. Eat three meals a day that are four hours apart or less. A schedule will help you regulate natural hormones because you are getting enough sleep and food to support your health and function. Happy people take care of themselves because they know they are worth it.
11. Avoid Alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant. It might make you feel happy while you are drinking, but the day after your mood will drop and you may become depressed. Developing positive healthy habits, without drugs and alcohol helps to keep you feeling positive and happy.
13. Avoid Gossip. Talking negatively about others is something happy people just don’t do. They focus on themselves and encourage rather than defame others. Remember what goes around comes around; if you talk about others negatively, others will talk about you in the same way.
14. Stop Comparing. You are unique. There is no one else on this planet that has your gifts, talents, abilities or purpose. Recognize that being different is a gift. Focus on your uniqueness rather than comparing yourself to others. There will always be someone with a better body, more intelligence or something other than what you have. Comparing will always make you feel less than others. So stop it!
15. Don’t Complain. Complaining dwells on the negative and will create more of the same for you. Instead, look for the silver lining in the situation. What are you learning here? How could shift your focus so that you find the beauty in the moment?
16. Move Your Body! Movement is what our body needs to feel happy. If we sit all day at work, only walk a few steps to our car and then sit on our couch or chair all evening our body won’t be happy. Our health suffers from a sedentary lifestyle. Your chair is not your friend! Get off that couch and dance, walk or swim. Do an exercise to music so that you feel happy while doing it.
17. Play happy Music. Music will shift your mood quickly. I have been around people prone to depression and found that their musical selections are also sad, depressing tunes. Choose music that makes you feel happy, rather than sad. Music will shift your mood very quickly.
18. Surround Yourself With Happy People. Just like surrounding yourself with wealthy people helps you be wealthy, surrounding yourself with happy people helps your be happier. When you are around happy people, you will find your thoughts, words and emotions are more positive, uplifting and focused on happy things.
19. Enjoy Beauty. A very simple way to have a happier life is to focus on the beauty around you. Begin to notice flowers, trees, landscaping that is beautifully arranged. The earth abounds with beauty. Beauty will help you feel happy. Stop, sniff the roses along your path.
20. Give Others Compliments. When you begin to be generous with heartfelt compliments you will find you feel happier. Others love to be noticed for their new haircut, fit arms or their beautiful smile. Make sure you mean what you say. Noticing the beauty in others will also help you see the beauty within.
21. Choose Happiness. Every day we have a choice. We can wake up and allow ourselves to be in a bad mood, focusing on everything wrong in our lives. OR we can choose to focus on the good, the beautiful and the wonderful gifts that surround us daily. Choosing happiness is the biggest thing you can do for yourself on a daily basis. I choose to be happy, what do you choose for you?
What Clients Are Saying About Jennifer’s Work
May 26, 2016
I wanted to let you know that I am feeling absolutely wonderful spiritually and about myself! After our session yesterday I felt energized and HAPPY for the first time in years! Despite my Fibromyalgia pain, I feel light, like a huge weight has been lifted from me. It’s so nice to feel like I can actually take a deep breath and breathe. Life feels happy and optimistic again (I haven’t felt this way in over 10 years!). Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
I hope you are having a wonderful day, and I truly appreciate everything you have done for me!
Love and Light,
From Lauren’s Mother…
I am so amazed and delighted in the difference that you have helped Lauren achieve thus far!!! Her whole aura and energy has totally changed. I saw Lauren smile & really laugh for the first time since Nov 2015!!! I’m so grateful for you and your wonderful, kind and compassionate work with her. You are a God-Send.
Also, the energy in the whole house has changed, it feels sweet and clear, no negativity hanging around. I want to thank you with all my heart for helping her. Your gifts are so abounding.